Friday, July 17, 2009

Thai-style Mango Curry

So.... I have been having computer memory issues that prevented me from blogging. Normally when that happens, I would use my work computer after hours to post and upload photos. My schedule these past few months was a little busy so I just never got around it. My apologies.


Moving on, I have become a vegetarian for the past few months and have some recipes to prove it. I am going to keep these short and simple so I can post them rapid fire while I have a second.

This first recipe is one of my favorite things to make. For starters, it is incredibly easy. Anyone can make this if you have the right ingredients and the ingrediants vary depending on what you like and what you don't like. For those of you who eat meat, you can easily add cooked chicken to this dish.

This is a Thai-style curry because it uses coconut milk and fresh veggies, however I used Indian Red Curry paste for the flavoring. When making curries, you can use curry powders or pastes. I prefer the ready-made paste you can buy in the international aisle of your grocery store. If you opt for the powder, you might need to put a few tablespoons extra in, as well as other spices. Play around with it.


The prep for this dish is really easy. Slice up onions and the red/yellow/orange peppers (your choice which colors you use). In a shallow saucepan or sautee pan, add some veggie oil and cook the onions. I like to leave the onions in big pieces for this dish, that way if your friends don't like onions they can pick them out. While the onions are cooking, cut up your mango (or if you are using frozen mango cubes, remove from freezer), and get the rest of your veggies ready to go (cut up broccoli, rinse snow or snap peas, half the cherry tomatoes).

Once the onions are starting to get translucent, add in the peppers and a tablespoon or two of the curry paste. Mix it all up so the curry paste is coating all of the peppers and onions and cooks. Add more curry paste if your veggies aren't coated. .

Then, pour in a 14oz can of coconut milk (lite coconut milk works fine, too). If you are going to add chicken, now would be the time to add cubed, browned chicken (it doesn't need to be fully cooked because it will cook up the rest of the way in the curry sauce) .

Let the coconut milk come to a boil and then add in the rest of your veggies and the mango (if frozen). If using fresh mango, wait a minute or two before adding it in. Let the veggies cook up so they are tender, but the green veggies should still be green. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment