Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Roasted Vegetable Quiche with Caramelized Onions and Feta Oh My

I'm a huge fan of quiche for a lot of reasons. First, it is perfect for cooking for one. I can eat a quarter of a quiche in one sitting, pack a second quarter for lunch the next day, and then invite a friend over for dinner to finish off that second half the next day. Why can I eat so much quiche in a row? Because it is delicious.

It's also not that unhealthy. Sure, it can seem unhealthy when you read about it in that old cookbook your grandmother had, because it uses cream and has a crust and aren't eggs bad? The truth is, quiche got a bad reputation. Nowadays, if you make it with skim milk, substitute some of the egg for egg whites, use minimal cheese and fill it chock full of vegetables, you can have a healthy dinner without a lot of effort.

First, make sure your caramelized onions and roasted vegetables are done. These should be done in advance so you can make assembly of this dish 1-2-3. You don't want the quiche to sit around waiting for ingredients. It will get impatient and may make quite a stink. For my crust, I purchased it frozen. Since it is from Whole Foods, it is an organic whole wheat delight. Because I bought it a while ago, dropped it a few times between the freezer and the table, it was broken. Even though the packagers told me to use the crust frozen and not to thaw it out, I disregarded their message and let it unfrost so I could mend the cracks. I didn't want my eggs to leak underneath the crust. Gross.

I filled the crust with a few forkfuls of my previously roasted vegetables (see how handy they are already) and some crumbles of feta cheese. The reason I chose feta is because it is a strong cheese so you don't need a lot of it. This is a good way to cut fat out of a meal. Instead of using a whole brick (cups worth) of a mild cheddar, if you use just a few tablespoons of punchy feta you will have the bang without the caloric buck.Then, I whisked together 2 eggs, a quarter of a cup of egg white (I used one of those containers of egg whites with the artificial color, like egg beaters but called something else), about 1 and a half cups of skim milk (I wasn't measuring, just pouring), along with salt, pepper, and herbs de provence. I used the herbs de provence in the roasting vegetables, so I thought I'd incorporate that layer of flavor into the egg mix. Sometimes when making quiche, I also add in two tablespoons of fat free ricotta. Adds substance without adding fat. But in this case, I didn't, because I didn't have any on hand. I poured this egg mixture into my pie crust, on top of the roasted vegetables.Next, I added the carmelized onions into the quiche (I delicately added them strand by strand so they were evenly distributed), and I took another tablespoon of feta and crumbled it over the top of the pie. Then, I placed the whole shebang into the oven which had been preheating at 375 degrees. I let this bake for about 45 minutes to an hour. When you can smell (if you can smell) the scent wafting through your home, you know it is close to done. Check it with a knife inserted in the center. If it comes out clean, the quiche is cooked thoroughly and ready to be enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment