Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mustardy Potato Slivers over Mixed Greens

I had bought potatoes because I thought maybe I'd make some oven baked fries to have with the quiche. I didn't do that, and I had so much fun slicing my onion with my mandoline, I decided to slice up some potatoes in that manner and see what I could come up with.

Since I never have a ton of ingredients on hand (my kitchen is almost never fully stocked), I decided to cook the potatoes seasoned with a salad dressing recipe I use constantly: Dijon mustard, tarragon vinegar, oil, dried herbs, salt. Instead of baking them, I opted to cook them on my stove to see what would happen.First, I thinly sliced my potatoes using a mandoline. If you don't have one, and don't think you can thinly slice potatoes with a very sharp chef's knife, then I'd suggest just cubing the potatoes or even slicing them into fries and baking them. Next, I mixed up the herbs (a combo of rosemary, basil, and oregano), oil, and salt in with the potatoes. I did this directly in the pan so as not to waste a bowl.

Then, I turned on the stove, and let the potatoes sizzle for a little bit, to get the cooking started. Because I felt like it would be good, I poured a bit of tarragon vinegar in and then covered the pan. The reason I covered the pan was to steam the potatoes for a little while, that way they'd be cooked all the way through and would be soft on the inside instead of chewy.Next, I added the mustard to the herbed potatoes and stirred it up. Then I followed a pretty simple process of making a thin layer of potato, letting it cook, flipping and stirring the potatoes, making another thin layer, and so on. I did this until the potatoes were getting crispy on the outside.I honestly wasn't really sure where I was going with this dish, but I thought maybe it'd be good in a salad, so I tossed some greens with the same dressing that seasoned the potatoes.

I poured the potatoes on top of the greens and it was perfectly satisfying as a main dish, however, I added a slice of quiche on the side because I am obsessed with my quiche. These potatoes could be eaten without the salad greens as the side to any meat. Or, you could put them in an omelet to make something similar to a Spanish tortilla.

1 comment:

  1. This looks heavenly, especially since I *LOVE* potatoes. I'm going to have to try this...

    ReplyDelete