Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I like to call this Chocohotopotamus For One

OR How Not to Eat Your Weight in Chocolate
OR Because Eating Chocolate Will Make You Feel Less Rejected by Loser Guys Because They Are Losers and You Are Awwesome

Nigella Lawson once made these decadent chocolate hot pots (chocohotpot). She made her recipe for 4, because she has a couple of kids with whom to share her treats. I know myself, and if I made 4 chocolate pots of yumminess, then I would eat them all. And not, one now, one later, one a little after that. I would eat them all in a row until I got sick. So, I needed to modify her recipe so it only made one... On a snowy winter day, I did just that.

These mini molten chocolate cakes are made with only a few ingredients. 1 egg, 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, 2 Tablespoons sugar, 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, and 1 Tablespoon flour does the trick.

First, melt the chips. You can do this on a double boiler, or you can be like me and climb onto a kitchen chair to do this in the microwave. Either way, throw the butter into your melting apparatus so you can do both at once. If you are micro-ing the chocolate, do it in spurts of 15-20 seconds, stirring between each heat blast so you don't burn the poor things. You will know you have gone too far if the chocolate gets chunky and dry. If that's the case, start over my friend, you can't come back from that catastrophe. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg and sugar. At the last moment, throw the flour in and continue to whisk it all together.

Let the chocolate/butter combo cool slightly before adding it to the egg mixture, and then stir to combine. Next, butter a ramekin. Pour the chocolate mixture into the 'pot' and then place on a baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees F for just under 20 minutes.

You don't want it to be as puffy on top as mine, but it will still be good- it's chocolate. It should be cakelike on the outside and gooey on the inside. Serve with whipped cream if you are into cream that's been whipped. I'm not really, so I ate mine straight from the ramekin with alternate spoonfuls of blood orange sorbetto that I had in the freezer.



Notes: When I adjusted this recipe for 1, I actually only cut a recipe for four down to a third. It was easier that way (because it called for 3 eggs and I tried an egg beater vesion which didn't work out). So, if you want to make the full recipe for 4, you should actually triple the ingredients instead of multiplying them by 4. Also, if you've properly buttered the ramekin(s) before baking, you should be able to take a knife around the edge and pop it out of the container onto a plate, for a pretty presentation. These need to be eaten warm from the oven. If you want to have people over for dinner and serve these as dessert, you can make the batter ahead, just wait to pop them in the oven about 20 minutes before you want to serve. Also note: This is not a souffle. This is a deeply rich chocolatey dessert that is a cross between a flourless cake and a molten chocolate cake.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks amazing. Good for you for having the restraint not to make all 4, I don't think I could have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn this is the cutest thing in the world, i can just picture you on a snowy day in your tiny little apartment wearing an apron and making yummy food.

    ReplyDelete