Monday, January 5, 2009

Musing Among the Roasted Vegetables

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I adore roasting vegetables and using them throughout the week. I don't ever have particular vegetables in mind when I go to the store, instead I wait and see what really stands out to me. This week's trip wasn't too inspiring, so I ended up with carrots, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, as well as green and yellow peppers.

Honestly, I am not a huge fan of the green peppers because I find them floozies. They are cheap and easy; they will pretty much get with any vegetable, and once they do they are kind of overbearing. To be honest, I hardly ever eat them unless I toss them in a salad, so I am not sure why I bought this particular one. However, what's done is done, so I thought I might as well use it.Roasting vegetables is pretty simple. I like to julienne mine, because I like the uniform look of the matchstick. I also like tossing the finished vegetables with pasta and julienned vegetables work well with penne (or any other short pasta aside from ziti because I am anti-ziti), but then can also intersperse themselves with long noodles and even the occasional wagon wheel.
Once they are cut to your specifications, all you need to do is toss them with olive oil (or whatever you have on hand) and the seasonings of your choice (always use salt and pepper, among other seasonings). In this case, I used salt, pepper, herbs de provence, and olive oil. I have been known to throw in balsamic vinegar, when I am looking for something a little sweeter and tangier. In this case, I wanted to keep them simple, because I planned on using them in different ways, and so I can add more seasonings to the vegetables after they are cooked. If you are making them as an accompaniment to chicken or another meat, feel free to add vinegar, teriyaki, or whatever floats your boat at this stage.

Then you chuck them in the oven at whatever temperature feels right (between 350 and 400 degrees). Keep them in the oven for quite a while, checking on them occasionally or whenever your fire alarm goes off, if you live in a place like mine where your fire alarm beeps annoyingly for no apparent reason except it is warm in your apartment (minimum cook time will be about 45 minutes, but it really depends on your oven). You really can't overcook roasted vegetables, unless you burn them. In which case, they will still be tasty albeit with a charred flavor reminiscent of a bonfire, which might bring back cozy childhood camping memories but hopefully not that time the smoke was contaminated from poison ivy fumes causing you to wake up two mornings later unable to open your eyes.If you aren't sure if your veggies are done, just wait until they are fully cooked and tender, with little bits of crispiness on the tips. If you need a real recipe, you are not on the right site.

2 comments:

  1. I throw roasted vegetables into my stews to help thicken the sauce - they cook down really quickly and add a fantastic flavour (and loads of vitamins). I don't know if you're a fan of parsnips, but they're great for this and once they're roasted, add just a hint of sweetness to anything you add them to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love parsnips! i am going to do a winter roasted vegetable dish at some point. i think it will become a tortilla.

    ReplyDelete